So this is our fourth week of homeschool this year. Here is a rundown of some of the things we’ve been doing and Jackson has been learning.
– Reading the Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe. We finished this book today. Jackson LOVES this book and just can’t get enough of it. I’m planning on reading the whole series with him.
– Jackson has read to himself almost two Edgar and Ellen books and I’ve got him reading a Magic School Bus book about insects. He’s also been reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid books like crazy.
– We’re pretty much on track for Math. We’ll probably pull ahead at some point. We got a few days behind on math because I couldn’t get the program to work. We’re using Teaching Textbooks and Jack really likes it.
– We’ve read Genesis 37-50, the story of Joseph and his brothers selling him into slavery and Joseph eventually becoming the main guy in Egypt under Pharaoh. There were a few things in this story we had to skip or gloss over because it had to do with sexual stuff. We’re not ready for that yet!
– We started Exodus this week. We’re reading the story of Moses. Pretty crazy stuff! In particular, Exodus 4:24-26. What the what?!
– For Language Arts we are using First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind by Jessie Wise. This book is technically for 1st and 2nd grade. I had it last year and I wish now that I had used it instead of the Language Arts provided by Sonlight. It’s really great. I highly recommend it.
– We’ve been working hard on correcting some of Jackson’s many handwriting mistakes. He didn’t learn how to write many of his letters correctly in first grade and then I let that slide for second grade. This year we’re going back and relearning how to make the letters correctly. It’s not that his letters have looked terribly wrong all this time. He just goes about making many of them wrong, like from the bottom instead of the top and that kind of thing. The first few days were painful for both of us, but he has already improved so much. It’s amazing how much his handwriting has improved just in three weeks. I think after the Christmas break we’ll start on cursive. He’s just not ready right now.
– I printed the year’s worth of spelling words from this online resource. He’s flying through this stuff and making straight 100’s on every quiz. This stuff is probably too easy for him.
– For science so far we’ve just been learning about bugs, bugs, bugs. We’ve got the rest of this week devoted to bugs. Jack has learned about metamorphosis, ant colonies, scorpions, butterflies, and just lots of other insect info. that I can’t recall at the moment. Next week we’re going to start learning all about solar systems and we’ll camp out there for about four weeks. If you’ve got good solar system projects, please let me know!
– In Social Studies we’ve been focusing on early American history right now. I’m kind of winging it with History/Social Studies. I’m not exactly sure what we’re going to cover after we’re done with the American History book we’re working through right now.
– We’re doing at least a couple of preschool type art projects with Mikey every week. I thought Jack would think this stuff is beneath him but he really enjoys these little projects and he takes a lot of pride in working hard on them and helping Mikey. I came across this great blog that has lots of toddler art projects. There are projects for every letter of the alphabet.
– I’ve also got Jack doing at least one writing prompt a week. I probably should be doing more but the actually writing part is so hard for him right now, because of the handwriting work we’re doing, that I’m trying not to bombard him too much with writing right now.
So I guess that about covers it. I’ve got a bunch of pictures that I’m in the process of working on but I’m not quite done with them yet. Maybe tomorrow.